Thursday, October 07, 2004

Becoming Dora

… The Explorer, that is. If you still don’t know who she is despite all the merchandise, watch Nickelodeon.

Gab discovered her shortly after she turned 3, I think. Since then she’s been a huge Dora fan – a fanatic minus the merchandise. We have a rule not to get her expensive toys without the validity of an occasion so she had to go without the Dora toys. That is, until her sister Carla sent her a doll and a recorder for her 4th birthday and Tita Ginger gave her a purple backpack. (If you know Dora, you’d understand why the backpack is an essential.)


“I turned four then I became Dora.”


A week after their birthday party, I took Gab to the hair salon for a haircut. I instructed the hairdresser to cut her hair very short and to give her full bangs. Gab never had bangs and she'd always worn her hair long so I thought it was time for a new look. With short hair and full bangs plus her natural dark coloring, my sisters started calling her Dora.

It stuck. And I guess it’ll stay stuck until Gab grows her hair long again.